Main FIT site | Webmail  

Welcome to the web page of Dr. Konstantinos Tatas
PhD  

E-mail: com.tk@frederick.ac.cy

ACOE255 -MICROPROCESSORS

Introduction

In this web space you may find lecture notes and other relevant material for the Spring 2014 semester on microprocessors .

It is highly recommended for students to have the following lecture notes with them in hard copies in each and every lecture. In this respect, notes are provided in .ppt format and can be downloaded by right-clicking on each link. Not all lecture notes are currently available but they will become available in due time as the course progresses.

The notes provided must not be considered as a replacement of either attendance of lectures or study of the suggested textbooks. Their purpose is to assist you in your studying and provide you with guidelines on what you should be focusing on. You are encouraged to enhance notes with study from the recommended literature and web links.

The notes provided are constantly updated, therefore it is recommended to regularly check for updates.

 

 

 

Subject Information

Course outline

 

Prerequisites: ACOE201 

 

 

 

LECTURE NOTES

 

Right click on the following links to save the lecture notes on your PC, then print them.

 

Week #

Lecture #

Topics covered

 

Week 1

Introduction

Introduction to microprocessor families

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Week 2-3

Lecture 1: Introduction to Microprocessors

 

Pin and signal descriptions, loading and timing of the 80x86 microprocessors. Bus drivers, clock and reset circuits.

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Week 4-5

Lecture 2: Memory Interfacing and synchronization

 

Interfacing with EPROMs, Static and Dynamic RAMs. Address decoding, memory maps and memory mirroring. Static and dynamic bus contention. Memory timing analysis, synchronization using asynchronous buses and wait states.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Week 6

Test 1

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Week 7-8

Lecture 3: Input/Output Interfacing

 

Isolated and memory mapped I/O. Interfacing with two state devices such as LEDs, 7-segment displays, switches, keyboards relays and ac loads. Use of programmable I/O devices.

 

 

 

 

  

 

 

 

Week 9-10

Lecture 4: Analog Interfacing

 

Digital to analog and analog to digital converters, operation, characteristics and interfacing. Synchronization between data converters and a microprocessor. Applications of data converters.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Week 11-12

Lecture 5: Interrupts

 

I/O synchronization using interrupts and the polling technique. Software and hardware aspects of interrupts. Interrupt Vectors and vector table. Interrupt handlers. The 8259 programmable interrupt controller.

 

 

 

Week 12

Lecture 6: Direct Memory Access

 

 

 

Direct Memory Access procedure and pins. The 8237 DMA controller

 

 

 

 

Week 13

Lecture 9

Revision  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Assessments

According to the Instituteís regulations, 60% of a studentís grade corresponds to the result of his/her final examination. The remaining 40% is the studentís coursework grade, which will be calculated as follows:

Evaluation Type

After completion of

Weight

Test 1

Week 6

15%

Assignment

Week 9

15%

Lab report

 

10%

 

Bibliography 

Lectures will be given in every class session and they will be based on the main textbook. The assignments and examinations will be based on the material covered in class. Students are advised to purchase the main textbook on which many topics of the course are covered. Students are also advised to review the extensive list of books offered at the FIT library on the subject.  


Main textbook  

  • B. Brey, The Intel Microprocessors: 8086,80186,80286,80386, 80486, Pentium and Pentium Pro Processors, Pentium II, Pentium III and Pentium 4: Architecture, Programming and Interfacing, Prentice Hall, 2003